Recipe by cuisinebymae
Top Review by Texas Wine Girl
Took these to a wine and appetizer pairing our friends hosted just for fun, and this dish won first prize! I did make several changes based on preference and availability. One guest needed gluten free, so instead of breadcrumbs I added savory thins, reduced to 1/3 cup. I also used a good peppered turkey bacon and cooked it ahead of time. I added red pepper to the recipe, and sauteed it with shallots, extra garlic, and about half the stems (froze the rest for future use) in olive oil and a touch of wine. For the seasoning I used Italian seasoning and a pinch of cayenne. I used smoked gouda for the cheese since I had it on hand. Finally, I drizzled olive oil over the mushrooms before baking at 375 for 15 minutes. Thanks Mae, for an excellent recipe.
- 1 lb mushroom
- 3 slices bacon, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from mushrooms and chop fine.
- Put bacon, stems, onion, and garlic in a frying pan and saute in small amount butter or olive oil.
- Cook until onion is soft, then drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Stuff mushroom caps with this mixture.
- Bake on a cookie sheet at 375F degrees for 10 minutes.