Recipe by Chef PotPie
Easy, quick and very yummy. Give this a try! It works very well with venison and game meat. Prep time doesn't include marinating time, if used. Update: the amount of oil in this recipe has been changed, sorry for the origional typo! I do recommend marinating the beef in red wine.
- 1 lb round steaks or 1 lb sirloin tip steak
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 (16 ounce) package crescent rolls or 1 (16 ounce) package biscuits
Directions See How It's Made
- I like to marinate venison in some red wine for a couple hours, but this is not neccessary.
- Cut steak or roast in chunks and brown in oil and 1 Tblsp butter.
- Reduce heat and saute mushrooms in the same pan until tender.
- Transfer meat and mushrooms to pie dish, leaving juices.
- To the drippings in skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stir in flour and cook 2 minutes to form a roux.
- Stir in just a bit of broth or water until a smooth gravy is formed.
- Stir in sherry.
- Pour over meat and mushrooms in pie dish and begin baking @ 400 for 30 minutes.
- Lay rolled up crescent rolls or biscuits on top and bake 15 minutes more or until browned.