Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy, quick and very yummy. Give this a try! It works very well with venison and game meat. Prep time doesn't include marinating time, if used. Update: the amount of oil in this recipe has been changed, sorry for the origional typo! I do recommend marinating the beef in red wine.
- 1 lb round steaks or 1 lb sirloin tip steak
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 (16 ounce) package crescent rolls or 1 (16 ounce) package biscuits
- I like to marinate venison in some red wine for a couple hours, but this is not neccessary.
- Cut steak or roast in chunks and brown in oil and 1 Tblsp butter.
- Reduce heat and saute mushrooms in the same pan until tender.
- Transfer meat and mushrooms to pie dish, leaving juices.
- To the drippings in skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stir in flour and cook 2 minutes to form a roux.
- Stir in just a bit of broth or water until a smooth gravy is formed.
- Stir in sherry.
- Pour over meat and mushrooms in pie dish and begin baking @ 400 for 30 minutes.
- Lay rolled up crescent rolls or biscuits on top and bake 15 minutes more or until browned.
I followed some of the advice from other reviewers and added onion, carrots and garlic at the mushroom step. I added one cup of beef broth and let the beef/vegetables stew for about an hour. I then placed the meat and veggies in the pie dish and set the liquid aside, made the roux and added the liquid along with a good dash of red wine to make the gravy. I added puff pasty on the top - this turned out not so great, and next time I will make with bisquits. I baked at 370F for 1 hour and it was delish and tender. Served with mashed potatoes. Made for ZWT
I made this for a sick relative today and it got really good reviews. I made a second pan for my own family, and the kids really liked the meaty portion. I added additional broth/gravy, carrots, and onion but feel that is needs a little something else...not sure what. Loved the crescent rolls on top!
Made as directed except I seasoned the beef with salt & pepper before browning. I also marinated it in red wine. Per another review, I used pie crust for the top but will use biscuits the next time. This was quite good but the beef wasn't quite as tender as I would've liked (and I used filet). Thanks for sharing - it was a nice change.