Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Easy, quick and very yummy. Give this a try! It works very well with venison and game meat. Prep time doesn't include marinating time, if used. Update: the amount of oil in this recipe has been changed, sorry for the origional typo! I do recommend marinating the beef in red wine.
- 1 lb round steaks or 1 lb sirloin tip steak
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 (16 ounce) package crescent rolls or 1 (16 ounce) package biscuits
- I like to marinate venison in some red wine for a couple hours, but this is not neccessary.
- Cut steak or roast in chunks and brown in oil and 1 Tblsp butter.
- Reduce heat and saute mushrooms in the same pan until tender.
- Transfer meat and mushrooms to pie dish, leaving juices.
- To the drippings in skillet, add remaining 1 tablespoon butter, stir in flour and cook 2 minutes to form a roux.
- Stir in just a bit of broth or water until a smooth gravy is formed.
- Stir in sherry.
- Pour over meat and mushrooms in pie dish and begin baking @ 400 for 30 minutes.
- Lay rolled up crescent rolls or biscuits on top and bake 15 minutes more or until browned.
Goodness, this is delicious! my whole family loved it, the steak was so tender and moist and the flavors blend so well!! Thank you for sharing this recipe !
I followed some of the advice from other reviewers and added onion, carrots and garlic at the mushroom step. I added one cup of beef broth and let the beef/vegetables stew for about an hour. I then placed the meat and veggies in the pie dish and set the liquid aside, made the roux and added the liquid along with a good dash of red wine to make the gravy. I added puff pasty on the top - this turned out not so great, and next time I will make with bisquits. I baked at 370F for 1 hour and it was delish and tender. Served with mashed potatoes. Made for ZWT
I made this for a sick relative today and it got really good reviews. I made a second pan for my own family, and the kids really liked the meaty portion. I added additional broth/gravy, carrots, and onion but feel that is needs a little something else...not sure what. Loved the crescent rolls on top!