Recipe by HeatherFeather
I originally saw this prepared on Cooking Live for a 4th of July special years ago, and tried it immediately. It was a huge hit and I have since made this numerous times. This is a wonderful salad, and is one of my favorite versions of this type of salad. I used champagne vinegar and a splash of raspberry vinegar. Dress the salad right before serving or else it will wilt dramatically. I serve this throughout the summer months, but it is also nice for Valentine's Day.
For Spiced Pecans
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 egg white
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup safflower oil or 1 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup champagne vinegar or 1⁄3 cup raspberry vinegar or 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, washed & dried (about 1 bunch)
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced (or other colorful fruit)
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Make spiced pecans: Beat egg white until very frothy, but not stiff.
- Add remaining ingredients, excluding pecans. Now add pecans and mix to coat.
- Spread pecans on baking sheet in single layer and bake in a preheated 200 degree oven for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- For dressing, shake together all ingredients.
- Toss together salad ingredients.
- Toss dressing with salad just before serving (or leave salad dry and serve the dressing on the side), sprinkle dressed salad with pecans.