Recipe by Olha
If you like the taste of sausage, but need to cut back on fat, ground turkey breast offers a healthy substitute. A generous combination of herbs provides "sausage" flavor. I added 1/4 tsp. more salt and 2 cloves of mashed garlic. Instead of 2 egg whites I added 1 whole egg. I used 60% whole wheat bread for the fresh bread crumbs, whizzed in my food processor.. My husband thought he was eating sausage. The One-Day-at-a- Time Low-Fat Cookbook.
- 1 lb skinless ground turkey breast
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash of grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper, a dash if you like it less spicy (cayenne)
- parsley sprig (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine ground turkey, egg whites, bread crumbs, sage, coriander, fennel seeds, salt, marjoram, thyme, paprika, black pepper, nutmeg and hot pepper in a medium size bowl.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Wet hands before making them, they are easier to form.
- Cook in a lightly oiled, medium size nonstick skillet 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Turn and brown remaining sides until patties are cooked through.
- Serve garnished with parsley.