Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
With chilli, lemon and coriander in these fish cakes there are plenty of strong flavours and you'll almost certainly want to adjust quantities to taste. I've not made the same mix twice and have tried leaving the skins on - which of course make mashing more of a challenge.
- 200 g whole meal bread
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 kg salmon (cooked, steamed or poached or whatever leftovers you have)
- 1 kg potato
- 1 kg sweet potato
- 100 g feta
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice plus grated rind)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red chili pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch coriander (chopped)
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper flakes (to taste when forming the cakes) (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and sweet potato and place in a large microwaveable bowl. Add the lemon juice and 1/4 of the chopped coriander, cover with cling film and microwave on full for 10 minutes / until cooked. (Add a little extra water if required).
- Whilst the potatoes are cooking, gently fry the onion, garlic, chilli, grated lemon zest & coriander in half the oil until the onions are translucent.
- Break up the bread and place in a food processor and blitz into breadcrumbs, adding the Paprika.
- Mash the potatoes adding the remaining olive oil and all of the butter.
- Stir the fried ingredients, remaining coriander, crumbled feta and egg into the mash. (Add salt and pepper to taste).
- Form cakes of your preferred size (If the mixture is too wet to easily form into cakes, add some of the breadcrumbs to improve consistency) and cover with breadcrumbs.
- Either fry gently for 5 minutes each side or place on a baking tray and bake on 180Cm, turning once, for 10-15 minutes (or until lightly browned).