Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From “The Africa Cookbook Tastes of a Continent” by Jessica B. Harris. -South Africa. Needs to marinate 24 hours.
- Place chicken in a large deep nonreactive bowl.
- Heat oil in a nonreactive saucepan and fry the onions until they are lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 2 minutes over low heat, stirring constantly to make sure that the sugar has dissolved.
- Allow the marinade to cool and pour it over the chicken.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 24 hours.
- When ready to grill the chicken pieces, remove them from the marinade, drain them, place them on skewers, and grill over hot coals or under the broiler for 10 minutes, turning once, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot with apricot chutney.
Excellent recipe! Very easy to put together and quite tasty! Make sure if you want "spicy" to use the Madras curry powder called for. It is hotter than most commercial curry powders. This was a great addition to our "skewer" dinner while we were RV'ing.
I liked making this kind of marinade. I used olive oil. Heating it brings out the flavors. But I wouldn't describe it as 'spicy'. But it still had great flavor. Made for 1-2-3 hits.
This was pretty good. The chicken was nice and juicy, however I didn't find it all that spicy. The flavors were good, just not what I expected. I had never done skewers before so it was fun to try it out with this recipe. Thanks so much for posting. Made for Zaar Tag.