Recipe by Annacia
I enjoy oatmeal for brekkie on cooler days. I also love to add spice to pretty much everything. This hits the spot. Makes 6 *diabetic legal* servings of 1/2 a cup each.
Top Review by FloridaNative
This was wonderful Annacia ~ I love Irish Oatmeal, so this was a perfect choice for us. I threw some toasted pecans in mine and it was perfect! Thanks for posting my new favorite :) Made for Diabetic Forum March Into Spring Tag, March 2010!
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar or 1 tablespoon brown sugar substitute, equivalent to 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar*
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 dash ground cloves or 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 3 cups nonfat milk (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the water, steel-cut oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, allspice, and cloves or nutmeg.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until desired doneness and consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with milk on the side.
- Makes 3 cups (six 1/2-cup servings).