1/2 Photos of Spatchcocks With a Herb Butter and Sage and Bacon Sauce
1 hr 20 mins
The Flying Chef's Note:
Spatchcocks are just baby chickens usually weighing between 450-600g a bird, they have great flavour, although a little fiddly when eating. I love this recipe I think it so full of flavour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (2000 g) baby chickens
- 60 g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 29.58 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml basil, finely chopped
- 8 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 slice prosciutto
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
Sage and Bacon Sauce
- 1Combine butter, garlic and herbs in a bowl.
- 2Loosen the skin of the spatchcock by sliding fingers between skin and meat at neck joint, divide butter evenly between spatchcocks, and spread as evenly as possible under the skin. (don't worry if it is a little lumpy, it melts once in the oven which helps it to disperse. I know this step can be a little tricky since I have made this several times, but it is worth it.).
- 3Place 2 thyme sprigs inside the cavity and tie legs together with kitchen string. Wrap a slice of prosciutto around each spatchcock and place in a baking dish.
- 4Drizzle combined oil and juice over spatchcocks and roast in a preheated oven 180c for 45-50 Min's or until cooked through.
- 5Serve spatchcocks with bacon and sage sauce.
- 6For the Sauce.
- 7Heat oil in pan, add onion, garlic and bacon. Cook, stirring until onion is soft and bacon lightly browned.
- 8Add water, stock, wine and mustard.
- 9Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup.
- 10Stir in cream and sage.
- 11Serve sauce over spatchcocks.
- 12I served mine with stuffing balls and asparagus.
- 13For photo purposes I didn't pour sauce over.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spatchcocks With a Herb Butter and Sage and Bacon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (688 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1936.7
- Calories from Fat 1584
- Total Fat 176.0 g
- Saturated Fat 55.9 g
- Cholesterol 454.7 mg
- Sodium 822.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 72.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: