No Shells Cioppino
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery & leaves, chopped fine
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (8 ounce) jars clam juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 pinch saffron
- 2 lbs cod fish fillets, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1⁄2 lbs bay scallops
- 3 lobster tails, shell removed and meat cubed
- 2 (10 ounce) cans clams, drained
- 2 cups crabmeat
- Heat olive oil and butter in large stock pot. Saute onion and celery until tender over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute for 3 or 4 more minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, clam juice, wine, bay leaves, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, Old Bay seasoning and saffron. Bring sauce to a simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for a half hour over low heat. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Continue to simmer for another half hour.
- Add lobster meat and scallops, bring back to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Add clams, shrimp and cod continue to simmer for 5 minutes until cod is flakey and shrimp are pink. Gently add crabmeat and heat through about 2 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with a good sour dough french bread and a green salad.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was great! I made this for my son’s birthday, and he has requested that it be on the menu from now on. I didn’t use crab or lobster and doubled the amount of shrimp because it was what I could get locally. The broth is so rich and delicious. Thank you for sharing this excellent (and mess free) stew. I served it with sourdough rolls (take-n-bake) so we could sop up all the fabulous sauce.
Because it was only for DH and I, I had to make 1/2 the recipe. The broth for the seafood is fantastic and deserves more than 5 stars. I did adjust the seasoning, as you suggested, after it simmered. I added some more thyme and some more Old Bay Seasoning. (Our taste). Even so, the broth for the seafood was amazing. I didn't have Lobster, but, used Shrimp, Bay Scallops, chopped clams and tilapia. When DH says it's great, you know it's a keeper. Now it's our favorite. Thank you very much.