Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is an old time family favorite. It's good to make when you have many mouths to feed but very little food supply! You can use what ever kind of chicken you got on hand. I prefer chicken breast, they cook faster, and it's easier.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 inch slices
- 3 cups white rice
- 16 ounces tomato sauce, cans
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or what ever you got on hand)
- 6 cups water
- At high heat add canola oil to a large pot.
- Add white rice, onion, and garlic; brown.
- Bring to a medium heat.
- Carefully add tomato sauce and stir quickly until the sauce thickens.
- Pour in the 6 cups of water and stir.
- Add cumin and salt to taste.
- Add chicken and bring to a boil.
- Place a lid on pot an bring heat to a low heat.
- Simmer until rice is tender and chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve with flour tortillas.
This was YUMMY!!! It was super easy to make and it tastes a lot like the rice I get from Mexican resteraunts. I used some BBQ chicken and just shredded it into the pan and tomato paste instead of sauce. Topped it off with some grated Tasty Cheese. Thanks for sharing.
Good Recipe! Made as written with the addition of 1 tsp chili pepper.Any chicken or turkey can be used also. I used some precooked large turkey gizzards, diced (personal preference) I had previous cooked in chicken broth and had frozen. It has intense flavor the next day and a good dish to microwave to reheat. Thanks for posting!