Recipe by Sue Lau
Delicious and economical recipe. Recipe by Cathy Luchettis.
Top Review by Virginia Cherry Blossom
Made this for ZWT5 Spain & Portugal. Cut recipe in half (was only making for two people) and used chicken drumsticks with skin. Recipe had good flavor but I ended up adding about an extra 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups of water and my sauce was still lacking at the end - not sure if maybe I messed up a measurement or something.
For the chicken
- 6 whole chicken legs, skinned
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped green peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery, with leaves
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (with liquid) or 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons white wine
For the rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and brown chicken (about 4 minutes per side), then set aside.
- In same dutch oven, add green pepper, celery, onions and garlic; sauteing 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables have softened.
- Add cumin, tomatoes with juice, broth, remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Return chicken to pot, stirring to cover with sauce.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 20 minutes more (or until chicken is done).
- Combine flour and wine in small bowl. Stir into pot and cook 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare rice by bringing water to boil in medium saucepan; then stirring in rice, salt, and turmeric.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes until liquid is evaporated and rice is tender.
- Serve chicken with rice.