Recipe by DJM
Delicous and quick to make. Better flavor than expected from a recipe made of convience foods. Clipped from the Grand Rapids (Michigan)Press.
Top Review by MS_Spice
WONDERFUL!! My hubby even liked it!! Used frozen mexi corn and creamed corn. Added with broth, milk and potatoes so corns could melt and cook. Subbed rotel for the salsa and doubled the Velveeta. Also added 1-2 lbs. shredded chicken. YUMMY!! Would be GREAT with crawfish (or crayfish if you're not from the South)!! Thanks DJM!!!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 5 cups milk
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 lb Velveeta Mexican cheese, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
to top soup
- crushed corn chips
- chopped green chili
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium stockpot, melt the butter, and then sauté the chopped onion.
- Add the chicken broth and milk, then the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cheese, both corns, salsa and black beans.
- Heat over low heat until serving temperature.
- Stir occasionally so soup does not scorch.
- Top each bowl with the crushed con chips and chilies.