Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicous and quick to make. Better flavor than expected from a recipe made of convience foods. Clipped from the Grand Rapids (Michigan)Press.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 5 cups milk
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 lb Velveeta Mexican cheese, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
to top soup
- crushed corn chips
- chopped green chili
- In a medium stockpot, melt the butter, and then sauté the chopped onion.
- Add the chicken broth and milk, then the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cheese, both corns, salsa and black beans.
- Heat over low heat until serving temperature.
- Stir occasionally so soup does not scorch.
- Top each bowl with the crushed con chips and chilies.
WONDERFUL!! My hubby even liked it!! Used frozen mexi corn and creamed corn. Added with broth, milk and potatoes so corns could melt and cook. Subbed rotel for the salsa and doubled the Velveeta. Also added 1-2 lbs. shredded chicken. YUMMY!! Would be GREAT with crawfish (or crayfish if you're not from the South)!! Thanks DJM!!!
Definately a favorite! This recipe is easy to follow, make a lot and tastes wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.
What a wonderful soup! It's easy, inexpensive, and delicious. It also makes a HUGE amount, and as a result, I have several individual servings in my freezer that will make wonderful lunches. The only change I made was to leave out the black beans, only because I'm not fond of them. I used a Pace's medium heat salsa along with the Mexican Velveeta, giving me the perfect amount of heat. Thanks for a recipe that will be made several times this winter.