Smoked Sausage and Potato Corn Chowder
The most decadent, smoky, creamy soup. Not exactly health food, but a wonderful, once in a while indulgence. I use Better Than Bullion paste (chicken flavor) in this recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 lbs smoked beef sausage, kielbasa or 2 lbs Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, cut in large chunks
- 5 -6 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 quarts chicken broth
- 9 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 32 ounces frozen corn
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 -2 teaspoon chicken base (optional)
- salt (to taste)
- sliced green onion
- In a large stockpot, Brown sausage in butter, to render fat. Remove sausage from pan and set aside, reserving fat.
- Add onions to pot, and saute until they begin to soften.
- Add carrots and celery, and saute for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Sprinkle flour over vegetables, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, to cook off “floury” taste.
- Add chicken stock, stirring to de-glaze pot, and to combine roux with stock, simmer for 5 minutes to thicken stock.
- Add garlic, pepper, and potatoes, simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. (don’t overcook, as potatoes will dissolve!).
- Add sausage back to soup.
- Add Corn, half and half, and cheeses.
- Simmer until hot, and all cheeses are melted, and combined.
- Taste for seasoning, if in seems bland, add Better Than Bullion, 1 tbsp at a time, if it still seems to need it, add salt to taste.
- Garnish with green onions, and serve with crusty bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION