1 hr 45 mins
If you prefer, you may use a prepared pie pastry or subsitute your favorite crust recipe. However, this crust has a unique flavor from the orange zest and the nuts. An unusual pie with a fruity cherry layer topped with a sour cream layer. Adapted from "Best of the Best of Georgia." Pie should be kept in the fridge after baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 -6 tablespoons ice water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 1FOr crust: sift together flour, orange zest and salt.
- 2Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in the shortening until the mixture looks crumbly, with most of the pieces the size of small peas.
- 3Sprinkle with some of the water,no more than 1 Tbsp at a time, mixing gently with a fork to incorparate wenough water to form a dough ball- it will just start to stick together.
- 4Press into a ball.
- 5Wrap dough and chill for 20-30 minutes.
- 6Roll out on a floured board to 1/8" thickness.
- 7Place ungreased pie plate upside down onto the pastry and cut a circle of dough out, leaving at least a 1 inch border.
- 8Remove pie plate, flip right side up and carefully place pastry into the pie plate.
- 9Trim and flute the edges decoratively.
- 10Press the nuts into the bottom of the crust.
- 11For Filling: In a small bowl, mix pie filling, lemon juice, and orange zest.
- 12Spoon over the crust.
- 13Beat eggs, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract until thick and lemony, approximately 10 minutes using an electric mixer.
- 14Stir in sour cream to the egg mixture, then pour over the cherry layer in the pie plate.
- 15Bake in a preheated 350 F oven on the lowest rack for 45 minutes, or until crust is brown.
- 16Let cool on rack, then chill well before serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Cream Cherry Pie
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.5
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 88.8 mg
- Sodium 269.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 6.0 g