Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
My husband's dream meal...cheese topped grilled steak with a side of potatoes, onions and mushrooms. To make this meal an event with a great presentation, while going through the whole process of the recipe, I heat up my largest cast iron pan (12 inches and buttered it to prevent sticking). Once cooked, I mound in the potatoes & mushrooms to keep them warm (careful--hot!). To save time, prep the roasted garlic ahead of time. I listed the cook time for the time it takes to grill a steak. All other time is under prep as these overlap. Note: About the steak. The size of the steak depends on what you can find. If the steak is too large, cut into smaller pieces. Also, seasoning with salt and pepper is fine, but if you want to make it ultimate, use any good marinade or rub. Some suggestions: My Best Wine Marinade, Ancho-Chile Marinade, Chipotle Marinade for Grilling, Rub a Dub T-Bones...thousands of them on food.com. The World Is Your Steak...so to speak.
Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup garlic clove
- olive oil
Sauteed Onions and Mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb yellow onion, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch julienne strips
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- granulated garlic, to taste
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Sirloin Steak Skillet
- 1 (2 3/4 lb) sirloin steaks (see note in description about rubs and marinades) or 1 (2 3/4 lb) smaller cut sirloin steaks, seasoned to taste (see note in description about rubs and marinades)
- sauteed mushrooms or onion, see recipe
- garlic mashed potatoes, see recipe
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes: Place a single layer of garlic cloves on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and drizzle olive oil, just enough to coat.; wrap tightly.
- Roast in 400 degree F preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes or until soft. (This can easily be done in a toaster oven; watch carefully and will take less time.) Unwrap and let cool until touchable. Peel cloves and mash with potatoes when they are ready.
- Wash and rinse potatoes under cold water. In large sauce pot, bring potatoes to a slow boil for approximately 20 minutes. The exact time depends on the size of the potatoes used. For faster cooking, cut into smaller pieces. Remove from heat and drain in colander.
- In pan or bowl, combine potatoes, peeled and roasted garlic cloves and all other ingredients and smash with a potato masher; adjust milk and seasonings. Return smashed potatoes to low heat, if necessary to keep warm. (See my suggestion in description about a cast iron pan.).
- Sauteed Onions and Mushrooms: Melt butter in skillet over medium heat and add onions and seasonings. Saute and stir until lightly caramelized. Add sliced mushrooms and stir, as needed to avoid burning, until hot.
- Sirloin Steak Skillet: Grill steaks to desired degree of doneness; slice against the grain. Melt the slices of mozzarella cheese over each shingled steak. Top with onions and mushrooms, and serve with smashed potatoes on the side.
this is one of the most concise recipes ive seen . the meal is amazing . my friend was very happy with this dinner .its going in my cookbook mantraps he was that happy . the dogs wanted in on the action lol
My family really enjoyed this. My hubby was so busy scarfing down this meal, he finally shut up for the first time all day! I used this marinade Best Steak Marinade #236613 on the steak. It worked out perfect with the rest of this recipe. Thanks GailAnn!
This was delicious. I really prefer the ribeye to any other cut of steak, but even so, this was an awesome meal. The potatoes were very garlicky, just the way we like them. I preset the oven so the potatoes baked while I was grocery shopping, so everything was really easy and quick to put together when I got home. Made for ZWT8 for The Fearless.