Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a really easy dish to throw together and darn tasty too, it's even easier if you have meatballs already prepared and frozen in your freezer! Use your own meatball recipe for this or use my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs! I like to saute a medium finely chopped onion and a couple tablespoons of fresh minced garlic after browning the meatballs, and then add in all the sauce --- I also add in some hot sauce or cayenne pepper, the onion, garlic and cayenne is optional --- all amounts may be adjusted to taste :)
- 2 lbs ground beef (shaped into small balls, use you favorite recipe)
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (can use more to taste)
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth or 1⁄3 cup consomme
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese (very soft)
- 2 -3 teaspoons Dijon mustard (or to taste)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I like to add it in) (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms, drained (or use fresh sauteed mushrooms)
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package wide egg noodles, cooked
- Prepare the ground beef with your favorite meatball recipe, then shape into about 1 - 1-1/2-inch balls.
- Brown the meatballs in a large skillet over medium heat; remove to a plate and set aside.
- Drain any fat from skillet, or if you are adding in the onions and garlic then leave some fat in the skillet to saute.
- In a medium bowl mix together soup with Worcestershire sauce, beef broth or consomme, cream cheese, Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese, black pepper and garlic powder (if using) whisk vigorously until smooth and blended, then mix in canned drained mushrooms.
- Add the sauce to the skillet; bring to a boil scraping up any browned bits in the bottom of the skillet.
- Add in the browned meatballs back to to the skillet; stir to combine with sauce.
- Simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes over low heat.
- Season with salt to taste and more black pepper if desired.
- Stir in the sour cream until blended and heated through (do not boil).
- Serve the sauce with meatballs over cooked egg noodles.
- If desired sprinkle with more grated Parmesan cheese.
We just finished eating and this was great. It had a really nice flavor. I will make this again and add some fresh parsley.
Another fabulously delicious KITTENCAL recipe which we thoroughly enjoyed! I used KITTENCAL's Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs, which we love; I used fresh sliced mushrooms and I added 1 chopped onion and 3 cloves of minced garlic (all of which I sauteed briefly with some thyme until the onion had just softened), and I used some of my Vegetable Stock instead of beef consomme. I also used reduced fat cream cheese and sour cream without - I believe - compromising either flavour or creaminess. A super-star recipe made for Zaar Stars Tag!
I had 2 problems with this recipe. First, it was much too salty for my tastes (I did not add any salt "to taste" or use extra parmeson on top). I used consomme' and would suggest using a low sodium beef broth instead. Second, I used store-bought frozen meatballs and just heated them through in the sauce. I didn't like the texture of the meatballs (soft and a bit mushy), so next time would pan-fry or broil them first to get a bit of a "crunch" on the outside first before adding to the sauce. The kids enjoyed it, so will probably make this again.