Sizzling shrimp fajitas are a favorite of my family's. I prefer flour tortillas, husband likes corn. Use whatever suits you.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lime, juice of
- 8 -12 flour tortillas or 8 -12 soft corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 green onions, cut into thirds
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/3 inch strips
- sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- minced red onion
- Add shrimp, salt, cumin, chile powder, oregano, garlic, lime juice to a large bowl or heavy duty zip-top plastic bag.
- Toss until spices are distributed and shrimp is well coated.
- Let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (cast-iron is best).
- Add the green onions and peppers; cook and stir occasionally 2 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add the shrimp and marinade; cook and stir constantly about 3 minutes or until the shrimp are pink.
- Spoon shrimp and vegetables into warmed tortillas; garnish with sour cream, cilantro and onion if desired.
- Fold up and eat.
This has become a total family favorite- we make it for special occasions now. We omit the green onions and red onion. We use your regular old fashioned white onion, about half of one. I typically use way more than 2 bell peppers- at least 5 or 6- so that the meal stretches out for a few more servings. Also, I don't just use green bells, I prefer to use yellow, orange, and red so that the dish has a lot of color to it. We also typically add in a couple sliced roma tomatoes.
I made these last night and LOVED them! I used a 16 oz. frozen bag of jumbo shrimp that i chopped into quarters. I used 1 bell pepper and 7 green onions and it was perfect. I would say tho that the shrimp needed a bit of a kick maybe so next time I think I will add a bit of cayenne to the marinade but other than that the flavors were awesome! I served it on flour tortillas with cilantro, sour cream, chalula hot sauce, and an avocado mixture with lime, cilantro, cumin, cayenne, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. What a healthy and yummy dish, thanks for sharing, I will for sure make this again! Who would have guessed it was this easy to make your own fajitas?!?! *I just made these again last night only using chicken instead of shrimp and it turned out just as good. I guess this would even work with steak or anything else you wanted to use it for. Love this recipe! :) Also i added a little olive oil to the marinade so I could let it soak for a few hours in the marinade and not cook too much from the lime juice.
This was quite yummy and very easy. I added one small onion, a handful of chopped cilantro and a few sliced in half tiny tomatoes to the peppers while sauteing. I also added a little salt, pepper and garlic powder to the pepper and onion mixture. We served these with cheddar cheese, sour cream, shredded lettuce and salsa. This is a wonderful dish that I will surely make again. Thanks for sharing!!