Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Combining spicy and cooling ingredients for a festive main dish shrimp salad served on bulgur and ringed by avocado relish. Formalize the presentation by molding the shrimp and rice (in a rice mold or 6-oz. ramekin), then ringing with avocado relish and pouring remaining chipotle dressing as outer ring. The Avocado Relish can be made ahead and refrigerated. The Chipotle dressing makes 3 cups and can be held in the top of a double boiler over simmering water for 2 hours. (Bulgur is a nutritious, versatile wheat product with a pleasant, nut-like flavor and an extended shelf-life that allows it to be stored for long periods; it can be substituted for converted rice, although it is more nutritious.) The Avocado Relish can be prepared while the bulgur is cooking, hence the low preparation time.
CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING 3 CUPS
- 59.16 ml white wine vinegar
- 59.16 ml water
- 2 small shallots or 29.58 ml white onions, diced
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 29.58 ml agave syrup or 29.58 ml agave nectar or 29.58 ml honey
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 chipotle peppers (in adobo) or 3 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 236.59 ml olive oil (not extra-virgin)
SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD (use 1/4 cup chipotle salad dressing)
- 236.59 ml lb 2 medium or # 3 coarse bulgur wheat or 236.59 ml cracked farro
- 473.18 ml water
- 1 green pepper (4 rings and rest chopped)
- 340.19 g frozen salad shrimp (thawed) or 340.19 g canned shrimp
- 236.59 ml chopped celery
- 2.46 ml salt (optional)
- 59.14 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 small avocados, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 340.19 g roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 59.14 ml green onion, sliced
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING:.
- Place the first 7 ingredients in a blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
- With the blender running, slowly drizzle in oil and blend until emulsified.
- Reserve until needed, in top of double boiler over simmering water.
- SHRIMP BULGUR SALAD:.
- Combine bulgur and water; let stand until bulgur is soft--about 30 minutes. Drain and marinate in Chipotle salad dressing (or French or Catalina salad dressing). Chill.
- Cut 4 rings from green peppers; cut rings in half. Set aside 8 shrimp.
- Chop remaining green pepper and add to the chopped celery. Combine remaining shrimp, chopped green pepper and celery, cooked bulgur and shredded Cheddar cheese. Toss lightly.
- Pack into 4 rice molds or 6-oz ramekins, seal with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until serving.
- AVOCADO RELISH:.
- Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, and carefully fold together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- FOR SERVING:.
- Unmold each SHRIMP BULGUR RICE rice mold or ramekin onto salad plate.
- Spoon 1/4 of the AVOCADO RELISH in a circle around each rice mound.
- Pour CHIPOTLE SALAD DRESSING as outer circle.
- Top each mound of SHRIMP BULGUR RICE with 2 half-circles of green bell pepper and 2 reserved shrimp.
I'm giving the end result 5 stars, but with reservations! I made this as directed, except that I do not own "rice molds"; I used jumbo-sized muffin tins (I measured first, and they are indeed 6 oz. per!); this alone might explain my pic! lol! I was doubtful about the 3 cups dressing given the ingredients for it; it came really close! Probably due to the emulsification factor (i.e., lots of air gets into the dressing). This is not a "quick" recipe! Start to finish I think it took me 3 hours! It will probably only take a "good" cook 2 hours! Tip: when placing the bulgur salad in the molds - pack it down! I think this will make it bond together better! Given the time this takes to make, this is a 5-star one-dish meal that is worth the effort! Thanks, KateL! Made for Hidden Gems tag game.