Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A traditional Sicilian treat in honor of St. Joseph and served on his day, March 19. Posted from the Festa di San Guiseppe-NYC in response to a recipe request.
Cream Puff Shell
- 1 cup pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange rind
- 2 tablespoons finely grated chocolate
- 1⁄2-1 ounce Creme de Cacao (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Puff pastry shell: Combine first five ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the dough leaves the side of the pan and starts to form a ball.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the grated orange& lemon peel.
- Drop by tablespoon on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- for another 25 minutes.
- Cream Filling: Stir the filling ingredients together until smooth.
- When the puffs have cooled, cut a small slice off the top.
- Fill puffs and replace the small slice on top of filling.
I just made them and they came and taste great. The texture is also nice and crisp and light at the same time. I used light ricotta filling with sugar, vanilla, and chocolate chips. I topped the filling with half a cherry.