Recipe by Outta Here
An Asian flavored light seafood soup. Makes 8 first course servings, or 4 main course. If you like the flavor of fish sauce, substitute that for the soy sauce.
Top Review by blubing
Loved this recipe. Added cubed tuna steak, sliced water chestnuts, a few pieces of alaria (seaweed), an eight ounce bottle of clam juice, and a few splashes of fish sauce (and no soy sauce). It was really delicious. A great "base" recipe I've returned to a few times since.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 lb scallops, diced
- 1⁄4 lb large shrimp, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 green onions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Add garlic, ginger, lemon peel and hot pepper flakes. Cook gently until very fragrant.
- Add broth, soy sauce and lemon juice and bring to boil.
- Add carrots. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Add scallops, shrimp, sesame oil and green onions, Cook for just a few minutes, or until seafood is barely cooked.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro.