Italian seafood soup
photo by ddav0962
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 4 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fennel seeds, dried
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 20 ounces bottled clam juice
- 6 1⁄2 ounces minced clams
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled
- 6 ounces crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat oil.
- Add onions, garlic, oregano and fennel.
- Sweat onions until tender.
- Add tomatoes, clam juice, wine and liquid from canned clams.
- Bring to stew consistency (about 15 minutes).
- Add shrimp, clams, and crab meat.
- Cook on medium heat about 2 minutes.
- Add basil, cayenne,and black pepper to taste.
- Simmer 2 more minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is very good soup. After reading others' reviews I was a little nervous about the amount of spices. I went ahead and made the recipe as written anyway. I thought it was delicious as is. I did however add a dash of hot sauce to my bowl just for a little extra pow, but as is, I would definately make this again.
Very, very good. I prepared as directed with all dried herbs in the quantities stated. One could sub. any shellfish desired (put in at the proper time to ensure it is cooked but not overdone) and could add some firm fish also as long as the clams and clam juice remained. Do not omit the fennel seeds..it lends the subtle sweetness necessary to combat the acid in the tomatoes. I will definitely prepare again and again.
see 1 more reviews