Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Pure comfort food. It could be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. This recipe comes from The Household Searchlight Recipe Book given by Nana to my Mom for Christmas in 1935.
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 cups boiled cooked rice
- 2 cups medium white sauce
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheese, of your choice
- salt and pepper
- I use this method to boil my eggs, but I add some vinegar to the water. The yolks are always perfect.
- This will give you a great medium white sauce:.
- I use butter -- damn the torpedos, full steam ahead!
- Combine the white sauce with rice and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Place half the mixture in a buttered oven-proof dish.
- Cut the eggs in half lengthwise.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper.
- Place yolk side down and top with the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.
It's perfect. I would recommend AGAINST a 9x13 pan, tho, unless you increase the recipe. ;) I think an 11x7 would be good but not positive. It was still delicious. I had some gruyere that I shredded for something last week that I used. The only thing....when I see 'grated cheese,' I automatically think Parmesan/Romano/etc. Perhaps change it to 'cheese of your choice, shredded or grated'. Unless you meant Parm or Romano. :o Regardless, this made a wonderful breakfast & is total comfort food! Made for My3Chefs 6/12.