Recipe by Steveb
A Vegetarian dish that everyone will love, easy to prepare. From "Step by Step Vegetarian Cookery" by Chris Hardisty
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
Good easy dish to prepare. I do not like cumin that much so I reduced the amount to 1/8 tsp. and chose the cider vinegar option. The taste was slightly sweet. Really enjoyed this dish. Thanks for the recipe.
- oil (for frying)
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 450 g cooked red kidney beans
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the stock cubes, onions, apples and carrots for 5 mins in a non-stick pan.
- Mix the water with the other ingredients apart from the beans and add to the pan, stir well and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans and continue to simmer for 30 mins, adding water as necessary.
- Serve with rice, salad and crusty bread.