Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fresh Mushrooms and barley star in this meatless tasty soup, onions, celery, and carrots make it a hearty favorite throughtout the year. The recipe comes Taste of Home, Light & Tasty.
- 4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups beef broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a large sauce pan, bring water and barley to a boil; Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is partially cooked (DO NOT DRAIN).
- Meanwhile, in a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in olive oil until tender, Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, carrots, tomato paste and Barley mixture; Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally; Stir in salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with parsley.
I found this soup nice, but nothing special. I used Trader Joe's Vegetable Broth, and a combination of white, baby bella, shiitake and dried porcini mushrooms. I found the soup bland overall, since not much seasoning was added to the broth, and the broth itself was rather bland. This might be different if someone were using a different broth, but the TJ broth definitely needed some help. I added a little dried red pepper flakes, which gave it a bit of zing. It was easy to make, so I may try it again using a different broth as a base.
This was very easy to make and is very filling for a soup. I used button and baby portobello mushrooms and added a little more barley than called for. A great low-fat, low-calorie recipe!
Fantastic. I am just starting to try to make soups and this was easy and delicious. I did not have vegetable or beef broth so I used chicken broth.