Heartwarming Beef-Barley Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef chuck
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley (or regular barley, precooked)
- Trim fat from meat, cut meat into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a Dutch oven combine meat, water, broth, celery, mushrooms, carrots, onion, salt, rosemary, pepper, and garlic and bring to boiling, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender, if necessary, skim fat.
- Stir in tomato paste and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until barley is done.
Join The Conversation
I like everything about this recipe. It is indeed heartwarming, healthy and flavourful. I mostly followed the recipe and ingredients except for browning the meat with the spices, then added the veggies to let them brown along for 5 min and then added the liquid. I did not add tomato paste because I like the broth runny. Thanks for sharing.
What a delicious and comfort food for a cold rainy day. I did cut the recipe in half for the two of us and used regular barley in step two like a previous reviewer. DH totally enjoyed this soup with a slice of french bread. Thank you for posting and will make this again. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag game.
Easy soup for a fall day. I had to use up some ground beef, so pressed it into nuggets. I browned them, which helped them stay together. I poured off the fat, then added the veggies and browned them a bit. Added the broth and water, stirring up the fond. Used no salt, the broth was salty enough. Did add a bay leaf. Also, I added some dried mushrooms which I rehydrated and used the soaking water for part of the liquid. I used regular barley and just added it earlier to the soup. Very satisfying.