Chicken, Barley and Mushroom Soup
photo by Linky
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and cook, stirring frequently, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken and keep stirring for about 3 or 4 more minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add broth, barley, sage, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaves. Turn to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- Add mushrooms and parsley and cook for about 10 more minutes or until mushrooms are heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I halved the recipe for just me, so I'd have leftovers for lunch! Delicious soup, one that I will make often, since I am a "soupaholic"! The only thing I changed was too add just a bit of garlic after sauteing the veggies and chicken...didn't want it to burn. Otherwise, I stayed true to the recipe. Yummy soup! Thanks for sharing!
Will be adding this soup to my favorites! I used chicken tenderloins and didnt have sage on hand so added a little more thyme, dried parsley instead of fresh and only one cup of mushrooms. Enjoyed the barley a nice change from noodles. Will make sure I have sage on hand next time I make this soup. Made and reviewed for Susie's World Tour 2019 - Benelux.
see 7 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love great food and I particularly like trying cuisines new to me! Although I don't prepare as much food as I used to, creating in my kitchen is still one of my favourite things to do. Enjoy!