Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
The salsa verde is the real star of this dish. It complements the sweetness of the beans and adds dimension to the taste of the chicken. It is a fantastic low carb main dish, but if you were so inclined you could serve it with some crusty bread. The anchovies are optional, but I promise you will regret it if you leave them out. Even people who say they don't like them can't taste them in this dish. It should be noted that this recipe makes more salsa verde than is needed for the salad. I always make more because it is so delicious. Posted by request.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
For the Salsa Verde
- 2 cups Italian parsley
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup mint leaf
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 5 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 500 g green beans, topped and tailed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- For the chicken, butterly the breasts open and flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- You can do this using cling wrap to avoid mess.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add garlic and thyme.
- Allow to infuse slightly.
- Add breasts to pan.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Slice chicken into manageable pieces.
- For the Salsa Verde.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a foodprocessor OR chop the herbs, garlic, and anchovy fillets really fine and add other ingredients.
- You will need to taste the sauce, it should not need salt if you use the anchovies but it might need a little more of another ingredient.
- Blanch the beans in plenty of lightly salted boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Refresh in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Combine beans and avocado in a bowl.
- Stir in some of the salsa verde and toss to coat.
- Serve with the chicken on top and perhaps a little more dressing on top.
- This can be served warm or at room temperature.
- It is nice either way.