Pollo Con Salsa Verde (Chicken With Green Sauce)
I love salsa verde, so this is one of the ways that I like to prepare chicken. This dish serves up great with Spanish rice, and a green salad.
- Ready In:
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 2⁄3 cups salsa verde (mild green salsa)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves (minced fine)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (minced fine)
- 1 fresh jalapeno (seeded and minced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 -5 green onions (green part chopped)
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Dredge both sides of chicken through the flour, shaking off excess.
- Melt the butter over med heat in a large heavy bottomed pot.
- Add the chicken and cook over med-high heat turning once, until both sides are well browned, but chicken is not quite cooked through (about 6-7 minutes per side).
- Remove chicken from the pot and keep warm.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Place the green salsa, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, and cumin into the pot; bring to a boil.
- Just as the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to obtain a slow simmer. Add the chicken breasts back into the sauce and spoon sauce over each piece of chicken.
- Continue to cook until chicken is cooked through and tender (about 15 minutes).
- Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Place chicken on a serving platter and spoon sauce over each piece.
- Top each piece of chicken with a heaping tablespoon of sour cream and sprinkle some chopped green onion over the sour cream.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
2009 fantastic chicken dish...i added a 10oz can of ortega diced green chilis to give the sauce some chunk and i used 4 cloves of garlic...i combined the salsa, broth, garlic, green chilies, way more cilantro (almost a half a cup) jalepeno & the cumin and didnt bother to take the chicken out of the pan, just poured the broth mixture around the pan. also, i didnt have sour cream but had some crema fresca left from fajita night so a dolup of that went on each piece...loved it! 03/25/10 i make this all the time & everyone LOVES it. i've even started chopping the chicken up before dusting with flour and cooking it in small pieces to use in burritos & tostadas.