Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of those dishes that takes about 15 minutes to prepare from beginning to end. Elegant, light flavor and beautiful color.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb fresh salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, julienned
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Saute onion in olive oil until caramelized.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add sliced salmon and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add pepper, stir and check if you need to add salt. It will depend in the kind of broth you use.
- Stir in spinach. Turn of the heat. Serve.
- After you serve you can sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top and a home made big crouton. (slice of bread sauteed in extra virgin olive oil with a touch of garlic powder).
This is a great basic recipe to "jump off" of with all kinds of fun ingredients. I definitely favor the vegetable broth and leeks. To de-skin salmon quickly and easily: put a little oil in a non-sick skillet and heat on medium high. Put the salmon filet in the skillet SKIN SIDE DOWN. Cook for about 30 seconds without disturbing. Flip filet over or onto a plate. Using a your hands and a paper towel or a set of tongs, peel the skin right off. (Careful, it's hot.) It should peel off easily. If it is still firmly attached, put it back in for another 30 seconds. Don't cook it too long or the scales will fall off everywhere. After you do one you will get a feel for how long it takes. Never wrestle the skin off again!
I added carrots, celery, fresh green beans, cilantro, and scallions to this recipe and it was delish. I also used veggie broth instead of the chicken because I don't eat meat aside from fish .. made for a delish soup!
Great simple soup - I used marinated salmon as that's what I had, 1 litre of broth, and 1/2 ts cayenne. Made for a lovely light dinner! Thank you MsPia!