Recipe by BeachGirl
Dress your salmon patties with the Creamed Pea sauce to give them a new flavor dimension and set them apart from the ordinary! Asparagus can be substituted for the peas.
Top Review by Caryn Dalton
Wow! I really loved the sauce on these! We used canned peas and didn't have dill so I substituted sage, lemon pepper and a little parsley flakes...just yummy! Also, I used 3/4 pack of saltine crackers instead of instant mashed potatoes..that got them too dry so I had to add an egg. No bother, they still turned out great! Thanks for posting and what a great idea for a sauce for the salmon patties. Definately makes "country food" seem like gourmet.
- 29.58-59.16 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85-19.71 ml canola oil or 9.85-19.71 ml olive oil
- 453.59 g can salmon, reserve liquid
- 236.59 ml instant mashed potatoes
- 59.14 ml onion, grated or diced
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 1.23 ml ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
CREAMED PEA SAUCE
- 29.58 ml butter
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml dried dill weed
- 2.46 ml seasoning salt
- 177.44 ml milk (skim, 2% or whole)
- 226.79 g package frozen green peas
Directions See How It's Made
- PATTIES: Drain liquid from salmon and reserve for sauce.
- Remove bones and skin, and flake salmon.
- Mix all patty ingredients together.
- Form into 4 patties.
- Dip both sides in flour.
- In frying pan, heat oil and fry patties over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides- about 10 minutes.
- SAUCE: While patties are cooking, place peas in colander and rinse with hot water to defrost.
- Drain In saucepan or skillet, melt butter; with whisk, stir in flour.
- Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup reserved salmon liquid and milk, whisking to form a creamy sauce.
- Add dill, salt and pepper, stirring constantly over medium heat until mixture gently boils and thickens.
- Stir in the pea and cook 30 seconds to warm.
- Do not cook peas.
- Place patties on individual plates and spoon the sauce over.
- ***Note: If you prefer, you can place the salmon mixture in 4 greased muffin cups and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- If using this method, omit the first two recipe ingredients (oil and flour).
- VARIATION: You can substitute lightly steamed fresh asparagus for the peas.
- If using asparagus, do not put in sauce.
- Place asparagus over salmon patties and spoon sauce over both.