Recipe by Sharon123
From the Essential Eating Well Cookbook, these are so tasty!
Top Review by SarasotaCook
Excellent recipe. I just made these for a dinner tonight and had 1 mini bite size piece left over, so I thought I would try it. Delicious.
Now, One bit of advice ... make sure to follow the directions. Little things like sauteing the vegetables, using both honey and mustard and FRESH bread crumbs is important. Substituting can cause the cake to be dry. If you follow the recipe, you will have a great cake. I made the sauce, but that will be for tonight. I did use fresh salmon which I think does make a difference, but I think canned would be just as good in this recipe.
Excellent recipe ! Will certainly make again
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 15 ounces canned salmon, drained or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked salmon
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon honey (optional)
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Creamy Dill Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill or 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make sauce:.
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- To make salmon cakes:.
- Preheat oven to 450°F Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley, remove from the heat.
- Put salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork, remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard(and honey if using), mix well. Add onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper, mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the bottoms are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve salmon cakes with creamy sauce and lemon wedges.