Salmon Cakes With Lemon Aioli
- Ready In:
- 2 cups salmon, cooked (can use canned or fresh cooked salmon, I like leftover cooked cold salmon!)
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- salt (to taste) or seasoning salt (to taste)
- lemon pepper (to taste or use fresh ground black pepper)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 -2 minced fresh garlic clove (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a bowl combine the salmon, dry breadcrumbs, green onions, celery, mayo, cayenne, dill, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and egg; mix well to combine.
- Season with salt and lemon pepper or black pepper to taste.
- Shape into 7 or 8 salmon cakes.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a heavy skillet.
- Brown salmon cakes on both sides (about 5 minutes per side).
- Place on a dish or a serving platter lined with mixed greens.
- To make the lemon aioli: mix all ingredients together.
- Serve on or with the salmon cakes.
Join The Conversation
SUGGESTIONS FOR SUBSTITUTIONS AND HOW TO REDUCE THE FAT I have made these a few times and have adlibbed each time. I've substitued dried bread crumbs for a combo of fresh bread crumbs and crushed bran flakes or crushed vegetables crackers. I have also used firm tofu when I didn't have enough salmon. I used left over salmon teriyaki which adds a wonderful flavour as well. I prefer fresh herbs and add twice the amount when using fresh herbs instead of dry. I added a bit of lemon zest as I didn't have lemon pepper which was very nice as well. If you use a non-stick pan you don't need any butter which will cut the fat in half. Use low fat mayo and the fat is further reduced without compromising flavour. There's lots you can do to adlib but you MUST have the lemon aioli with these salmon cakes. This is what makes this recipe SPECTACULAR.