- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped finely
- 4 red bell peppers, cored and seeded
- 3 -4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- sour cream or half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Broil peppers (with oven door partially open) 5 minutes each side or till blistering. Remove from roasting pan, place in dish, cover with clingfilm and leave ten minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter or margarine.
- Add onions and sauté till soft, but not brown.
- Remove skin from peppers, chop coarsely and add to onions. Pour in stock and spices plus a squeeze of lemon.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool and then process in batches so that the soup is a little chunky but not puréed.
- Before serving, add sour cream or half-and-half and heat through.
- Will keep well in fridge 2-3 days. Can also be frozen.