Chicken in a Mushroom-Dill Cream Sauce! Excellent!!!
- Ready In:
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 lb cremini mushroom, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dill
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the vegetable oil. Add the chicken breasts, skin side down, and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Cover the skillet and cook the chicken over moderate heat until the skin is crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Uncover, turn the chicken and cook over moderately low heat until the meat is just white throughout, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a large plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Pour off the fat from the skillet and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Add the mushrooms and shallot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer over moderately high heat until almost dry, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream and stock and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the mustard (optional) and dill and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the sauce, skin side up, along with any accumulated juices.
- Simmer over low heat until the chicken is warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce onto plates, top with the chicken and serve w/ pasta.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
When I made this dish, I used a mixture of cremini, shittake, and baby portabella mushrooms and boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I didn't use Dijon mustard because my husband doesn't like it. It came out very tasty, and was fairly easy to prepare. We would like to enjoy this dish again! Thanks for posting. Made for the Bargain Basement Tag Game.