Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Roasted vegetables make this one a hearty Italian favorite. From a supermarket handout.
Top Review by Cook4_6
This is probably my favorite Minestrone Soup recipe to date. I loved what the roasted vegetables added to this dish. I did have a faux pas while making it.....I did not have tomato paste. Instead, I added 2 Tablespoons of sundried tomatoes finely chopped. I also used fresh tomatoes, about 1 Tablespoon of Christopher Ranch chopped basil and added additional beans, pasta and broth. Definitely a keeper!
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni or 1⁄2 cup other small shaped pasta
- 1 (15 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth or 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Mix onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, oil, salt and pepper in a large rimmed baking sheet. Place on middle rack and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- While vegetables are roasting, bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta for 9-11 minutes, or until almost done. Drain and set aside.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and stir in beans and tomatoes. In a small bow, mix tomato paste and wine, then pour mixture over vegetables and mix to coat all the vegetables. Roast another 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and transfer vegetables to a large soup pot. Add 1 cup broth and scrape up all the bits from bottom of pan then add then add this mixture and remaining broth to pot of vegetables. Simmer soup over moderately high heat for 15 minutes. Stir in reserved pasta; cook an additional 2-3 minutes until pasta is heated through. Add basil and taste for seasoning. Serve hot, with cheese on the the side.