Recipe by lazyme
This is one of our favorite risottos. It equals anything that I've had in a restaurant. Don't skip the lemon zest, it gives this that special touch.
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
Very, very good. I didn't have any shrimp, so I was looking for a different recipe. Your recipe is almost identical to my favorite recipe with the exception of it including wine & proscuitto. Let me tell you, this ROCKED! My husband loved it. It does tend to be salty (from prosciutto & parm) but I'm not bothered by that. I crisped up the proscuitto by frying in the skillet prior to cooking the onions (I used EVOO instead of butter) just a bit before adding to the risotto at the end. Thank you for a new family favorite. I served as s side to grilled chicken.
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice, 12 ounces
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 ounces prosciutto, julienned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a simmer in a saucepan and keep at a bare simmer, covered.
- Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add wine and simmer, stirring, until absorbed.
- Stir in 1 cup simmering broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed.
- Continue simmering risotto and adding broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition become absorbed before adding next, until rice is just tender and creamy but still al dente, 18 to 20 minutes (there will be leftover broth).
- Stir in peas, prosciutto, zest, 2/3 cup cheese, parsley, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and salt and pepper to taste.
- If necessary, thin risotto with some of remaining broth.
- Serve immediately, with remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
- Serves 4 as an entree or 6-8 as a side dish.