photo by Paula
- Ready In:
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- additional parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Sautee onion in butter until soft.
- Stir in lemon zest.
- Add rice to onion mixture.
- Stir well to coat all grains of rice.
- Adjust heat to low-medium.
- Add 1/2 cup of broth plus 2 Tbsp lemon juice.
- Broth should simmer, reduce and thicken.
- Add another 1/2 cup of broth.
- Stir until absorbed.
- Add another 1/2 cup of broth and repeat process with remainder of broth and then water- 1/2 cup at a time.
- If necessary, add more water.
- When rice is done (tender but not mushy), remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Season with salt, pepper and the remainder of lemon juice.
- Serve with grated parmesan on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
see 58 more reviews
I have made a lot of risottos, and was surprised at how yummy this was given the simplicity of the ingredients. I used 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil instead of the butter, and added 2 cloves of garlic and a 1/4 cup of white wine. I stirred in at least a 1/2 cup Italian parsley for our tastes. I just realized I totally forgot the cheese - I guess it didn't really need it! Feeds 2-3, if serving as an entree.