Dinosaur BBQ Dirty Rice
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 lb chicken thigh, boneless & skinless, cut in 2 inch cubes
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 lb ham, cooked (cut in strips or cubes, about one cup)
- 1⁄4 lb pork (or any other cooked meat, cooked, shredded or diced, about 1 cup)
- 1⁄2 lb chicken liver, pureed in a food processor
- 3 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice, parboiled (preferably Uncle Ben's)
- Set a Dutch oven on the burner. Pour in the oil and get it nice and hot over medium-high heat.
- Toss in the onions, green peppers and jalapenos.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook til tinged with brown; then add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Toss in the cubed chicken and cook, stirring, til the pieces are coated with the veggies.
- Crumble in the sausage and keep cooking and stirring til it loses its pink color.
- Toss in the remaining meats and the liver puree.
- Douse the meats with the broth and add the cayenne, cumin, oregano and bay leaf.
- Stir in the rice and bring it all to a boil.
- Cover and turn the heat down low.
- Cook for 20 minutes without stirring.
- Pull the pot off the stove and remove the bay leaf. Now give it a stir and it's ready to serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!