Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
Possibly the best dessert in the entire world! Tart, sweet, and with the best crumble topping I have made yet. I usually halve the recipe but I am including the full amount here. It is from Nigella Lawson's cookbook "Feast". It can be made in advance (the crumble topping separate from the rhubarb) and stored in the fridge or freezer. You don't need to thaw the topping before proceeding.
- 907.18 g rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 in pieces
- 59.14 ml sugar (superfine)
- 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml vanilla extract
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
For the Crumble Topping
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 44.37 ml vanilla sugar (can substitute ordinary sugar)
- 44.37 ml brown sugar
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F
- Heat the rhubarb in a pan on medium to medium low with the 1/4 sugar, 1 T butter, vanilla, and cornstarch for about 5 minutes, until the rhubarb is glossy and everything has melted together. Transfer to an 8 1/2 in pie plate (approx. 1 1/2 in deep).
- To make the crumble topping, place the flour and baking powder in a bowl and rub in the butter until it is thoroughly combined, with a texture like soft crumbs.
- Using a fork, stir in the sugars. Spread evenly over the fruit, attempting to cover all of it. (Exposed parts will bubble up). Bake on the sheet for 35-45 minutes. It's okay if it bubbles over a bit, this is what the pan is for.).
Don't use the crumble bit of this recipe, but the rhubarb bit is AMAZING! Our rhubarb is currently producing loads and this recipe is pretty much a weekly occurrence in our household.
I served this tonight as a dessert with Dark Cocoa Cayanne Pepper Cookies and the sweet and sour of this rhubarb crumble was so good with this combination! I will continue to make and serve with a little topping but this dessert is so easy to make and prepare for company. I wouldn't change a thing.Thanks for posting! If you want a little more color use red food coloring.