Best Blueberry Rhubarb Crumble
photo by flower7
- Ready In:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups rhubarb (1/4 inch slices)
- 2 cups blueberries (frozen work great)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (bottled is fine)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Thoroughly mix sugar and cornstarch in the bottom of a large pot.
- Add rhubarb, blueberries, apple juice, lemon juice and butter to pot.
- Stir to combine with sugar and cornstarch.
- Continue to stir and cook over medium heat until thick and glossy.
- Transfer to pie pan. Top with crumble.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Enjoy with vanilla ice cream -- yummy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This didn't quite work for me; although everyone raved about the taste, it was pretty much crumble soup. I made it for one of our Easter desserts and used gluten-free flour for the topping since one of our guests has a gluten allergy. I used a little over 3 cups rhubarb with frozen blueberries in an 8x8 baking dish. When I put the filling in the dish to bake it was thick but during the baking it thinned into soup. I would like to try again with fresh blueberries thinking that the frozen berries released too much juice (I had the same problem trying to make a pie with frozen blueberries once). I am glad I tried this since it tasted so good - our guest with the gluten allergy had three helpings! LOL Thanks for sharing!