Oatmeal Crumb Topping for Pies
photo by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
- Ready In:
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the butter.
- Cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Spread crumbs over prepared fruit mixture of your favorite fruit pie.
- Do NOT add top crust.
- Bake as directed in your fruit pie recipe.
- If crumbs become too dark while baking, cover loosely with foil, but remove foil the last few minutes of bakings so the topping will crisp.
- Note: when using this topping there is no need to dot the fruit with butter, if your recipe calls for that.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I used cold hard butter, (butter must be cold for the crumble to come out crunchy) and cut it into the dry ingredient mixture with 2 butter knives instead of a pastry blender. Also added a little more oats and cinnamon and a little less sugar (simply because that's my personal preference) and it came out PERFECT and delicious. Thank You!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the changes to the email notifications and removal of private messaging, I am no longer able to respond to questions about my recipes. Yet another feature change that has made the website less user friendly. It's sad to watch a fantastic site deteriorate over the years. Some of my recipes are on my blog.