Recipe by JenPo
Possibly the best dessert in the entire world! Tart, sweet, and with the best crumble topping I have made yet. I usually halve the recipe but I am including the full amount here. It is from Nigella Lawson's cookbook "Feast". It can be made in advance (the crumble topping separate from the rhubarb) and stored in the fridge or freezer. You don't need to thaw the topping before proceeding.
Top Review by shelloid79
Don't use the crumble bit of this recipe, but the rhubarb bit is AMAZING! Our rhubarb is currently producing loads and this recipe is pretty much a weekly occurrence in our household.
- 2 lbs rhubarb, chopped into 1/2 in pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (superfine)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the Crumble Topping
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 3 tablespoons vanilla sugar (can substitute ordinary sugar)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a baking sheet in the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F
- Heat the rhubarb in a pan on medium to medium low with the 1/4 sugar, 1 T butter, vanilla, and cornstarch for about 5 minutes, until the rhubarb is glossy and everything has melted together. Transfer to an 8 1/2 in pie plate (approx. 1 1/2 in deep).
- To make the crumble topping, place the flour and baking powder in a bowl and rub in the butter until it is thoroughly combined, with a texture like soft crumbs.
- Using a fork, stir in the sugars. Spread evenly over the fruit, attempting to cover all of it. (Exposed parts will bubble up). Bake on the sheet for 35-45 minutes. It's okay if it bubbles over a bit, this is what the pan is for.).