Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A very good way to use up all that rhubarb....delicious!
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar, dissolved in 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- in large bowl, mix crisco, sugar, salt and egg; fold in rhubarb. Add dry ingredients along with the cream of tarter that was dissolved in milk.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking pan (spray with vegetable cooking spray such as Pam) .
- Sprinkle batter with topping of 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
I hate rhubarb!! This cake makes me see it much differently. It is so good. My son normally won't eat anything that has green in it, but he loves this cake so much he won't share with anyone when I make it . Definitely a keeper recipe!!!
My Mom used to make this all the time!
This was a bit on the flat side, not quite a cake, more like a rhubarb crumble. Anyway, the flavor was very fine and everyone in my house enjoyed it.