Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These have to be one of the BEST cupcakes I've ever made!! The chocolate extract REALLY makes it, so it's worth finding. As well as the little hint of almond. For the frosting, I've actually used a little less powdered sugar and it was plenty sweet (1 1/2-3/4 cup)
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon chocolate extract
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, non-hydrogenated, softened (Earth Balance)
- 1⁄4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened (Tofutti, Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the oil, food coloring, chocolate extract, Vanilla extract and almond extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients and gently fold wet ingredients into dry, mixing until large lumps disappear.
- Do not over mix, oryour cupcakes will turn out gummy - small lumps are okay.
- Fill cupcake liners about three-quarters full as these cupcakes will rise fairly high.
- Place in hot oven and bake 18-20 minutes until done, or until toothpick inserted in cetner comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the pan for five mintues, and then transfer to a cooling rack or surface to cool completely.
- For frosting:.
- Using a hand mixer, cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined, then whip in the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup batches.
- Scrape down the sides and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.
I used a little less of the powdered sugar (about 1/2 a cup less) and they came out just as sweet. They were delicious! Even my omni family loved them!
Everyone loved them! I added 2 teaspoons of chocolate liqueur and it added a little extra something.
These cupcakes were pretty good. However, I think it's too sweet. :(