Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spicy rice! From Readers Digest "Quick And Thrifty Cooking In South Africa"
- 45 g butter or 45 g margarine
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon origanum
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Melt the butter in a heavy 3 litre saucepan over moderate heat. Add the onion, and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in the rice, red pepper, chilli powder, origanum, tomato juice and tomato puree, then add the water and salt. Stir once, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed.
This reminded me of the rice served with Tex-Mex food. The "hot" in the recipe title doesn't reflect the level of heat due to spices. The rice is seasoned, not spicy hot. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
I love the red rice. I think it would complement any meal. I made it with brown rice.
I used brown rice and halved the recipe. I used more water too and cooked it longer, as I usually do with brown rice. For the red pepper I used a red bell pepper and my DH and I really enjoyed it. Served with chili rellenos. Thanks! Made for the Vegetarian Swap-Feb. 2010.