Baked Celery and Onions With Herbs
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Melt the butter in a heavy 12 inch skillet over moderate heat.
- Add the celery and saute, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and chicken broth until smooth and add to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add marjoram, thyme, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Scatter the onion rings over the bottom of a buttered 12x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Spoon the celery mixture over them and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- At this point the casserole can be cooled to room temperature and kept in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Bake, covered for 50 to 55 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was desperate to use up a wilting head of celery and I'm glad I stumbled upon this recipe! Since hubby and I are on a low-fat diet, I decided to cut way back on the butter and I also omitted the salt as I thought the chicken broth was salty enough. A generous spoonful of Mrs. Dash rounded things out with the herbs and we thoroughly enjoyed the end result! From now on I'll be going out of my way to buy celery as I'll be adding this side dish to my permanent collection. Thanks for posting, lazyme! :)