Cheddar Walnut Cranberry Bread
What a lovely combination of ingredients! Mmmmm-mmmmmm! Adapted from Cook Now Serve Later cookbook by Reader's Digest. New England, Mid Atlantic, Canadian
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄3 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 1 orange, juice of, plus
- 1 lemon, juice of, adding water to make 1 1/8 cups
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped (or frozen)
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir in orange and lemon rinds. Cut iin the shortening with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture is like coarse meal.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the mixed juices, cheese, and eggs. Add to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 9"x5"x3" loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely. Serve warm with butter or cream cheese. Enjoy!
- Wrap snugly in foil or seal in plastic bags. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Freeze up to 3 months.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 1 more