Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I think you will really enjoy this meatloaf, I know my family does! ---if you have any left overs just warm slightly and serve in crusty buns with BBQ sauce --- this is great served with mashed taters or fries, the topping recipe may be doubled if desired ----- *note* if you want to take this meatloaf to another level and make this company-worthy prepare the meatloaf with the stuffing mixture in the middle, this is only optional the meatloaf is still delicious by itself --- prep time does not include preparing the stuffing mixture.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or use 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder)
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce (or use 1/4 cup of each!) or 1⁄2 cup ketchup (or use 1/4 cup of each!)
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb (more if needed)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (one more tablespoon won't hurt!)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup ketchup
- brown sugar (start with 2 tablespoons and add in more to taste)
STUFFING MIXTURE (THIS IS ONLY OPTIONAL)
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release the oils)
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a 9 x 5-inch baking pan and a baking sheet covered with foil to place underneath to catch any drippings.
- Using clean hands mix together all meatloaf ingredients except the 1/2 to 3/4 cup ketchup and the brown sugar, until well combined in a large bowl (adding in a little more breadcrumbs if needed).
- Pack the mixture into prepared pan.
- Place the pan on a foil-lined baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Mix together ketchup with enough brown sugar to taste (start with 2 tablespoons adding in as much brown sugar as you desire to reach desired sweetness).
- After the 1 hour of baking, remove the meat loaf (at this point you can carefully drain off some of the fat if desired) and spread the ketchup/brown sugar mixture over the top.
- Place back in the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes, or until the meat loaf is pulling away from the sides of the pan.
- OPTIONAL for the stuffing mixture; melt butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in mushrooms, onion and thyme, cook stirring until the mushrooms brown and loose their moisture.
- Add in the soft breadcrumbs and cook until lightly browned.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly onto the bottom layer of beef mixture, then press down slightly.
- Top with layer of beef mixture and bake as stated.
I messed up and used a whole pound of pork instead of a half pound and it still turned out great! I didn't have a loaf pan, so I used an 8 X 8 pan and it turned it just fine using the given cook time. For half of the meatloaf, I added a few slices of American cheese in the middle, just to see how it'd turn out (because my Mama always puts cheese in hers) and it was good! This meatloaf is even better on days 2 and 3 for meatloaf sandwiches! Mmmm mmmmm! All we did was reheat it, slice it up thinly, melt a slice of cheese on it, and place it in between two really fresh slices of white bread, adding a bit more ketchup. Awesome!
I usually put sausage in my meatloaf instead of ground pork, but ground pork is what I had on hand, so I found this recipe. I used oatmeal (personal preference) instead of bread crumbs, but everything else was the same as called for in the recipe. Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
Oh, my gosh! I'm so happy I found a great meatloaf recipe! It reminded me of my childhood but actually better. I begged my family to try this meatloaf, which I prepared along with mashed potatoes, green beans, & rolls. Although they graciously ate, they're still not meatloaf fans. I think it is very delicious! The next evening, I toasted a potatoe roll w/ butter, warmed a slice a meatloaf in my iron frying pan, topped with shredded cheddar cheese, placed in oven on broil to melt cheese & placed on bun thinnly spread w/ chili sauce. It was so wonderful! I will be making this meatloaf in the future, even if I have to eat it by myself.