Prep 5 mins
Cook 22 mins
Here's a healthier version of chili to warm up your winter nights!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium bell peppers, diced (one red/one green, or other combo)
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 (28 ounce) cansdiced stewed tomatoes (, undrained)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- Optional garnishes: shredded lowfat cheese, light sour cream, chopped cilantro or onion Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic,and bell peppers.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add turkey, chili powder, cumin, salt, sugar and vinegar.
- Cook another 5 minutes, stirring to break up turkey.
- Add tomatoes, salsa, and beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
I didn't add the cumin, vinegar or sugar and put a little extra red pepper. This recipe was very good, my family loved it. Thanks so much for posting!
Super tasty, fresh chili recipe. I agree that the flavors had to be doctored up a bit though. I followed your recipe exactly, then added: an additional 2 tsp of chili powder, 2 tspp of ancho chili powder and about a tbsp. of cayenne pepper. The end result was delicious. Thanks for sharing a really healthy version of chili. Perfect for WW! and only 1 point per serving!!! Can't beat that!
I'm also a personal cook. And this recipe fit the criteria for low fat, high fiber. I made a few adjustments to suit my client's needs.I made half the recipe, and left out the sugar and also vinegar, and substituted cannellini (white kidney beans)for the pinto beans, but did add red kidney beans also. I also added 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock, and used mexian stewed tomatoes. Added half a jalapeno, minced, and used some fresh salsa. I think this recipe lends itself well to playing around with it, but was a quick recipe that tasted delicious and was healthy! Loved the bright flavor that the fresh salsa adds to this dish! Thanks erin for a wonderful recipe!